According to my 12 year old, he is the only person at his age without a cell phone! We started the I want/need a phone conversation at the young age of 9. He swears that it isn’t fair that I’m the youngest mom out of all of his friend’s parents and also the strictest. Fine by me 🙂
Reasons he doesn’t have one:
- He doesn’t go anywhere alone or unsupervised.
- We don’t drop him off at random places to hang out.
- At the age of 12 he doesn’t need the endless texting, phone calls, and social media access.
- I want him to be the 12 year old child that he is.
Reasons we are considering:
- He is now in Middle School Sports and often traveling with his team.
- For emergency purposes.
- To teach him responsibility.
Little does he know, we have been carefully considering getting him a cell phone for his 13th birthday, this coming January. I’ve come up with contract with rules and exceptions that I will have him sign and follow Teen Cell Phone Contract . I tried to to be fair as I was coming up with my exceptions. I’m pretty sure that he would sign anything just as long as he got a phone.
What age do you think is appropriate for a child to get a cell phone? What are your cell phone rules?