I have researched about budgeting and money saving tips until I can no longer look at the computer screen. This is what I have come up with for Grocery Shopping money saving tips:
- Set an amount to spend.
- Take inventory of what you you need.
- Plan meals based on weekly sales ad.
- Make a list and stick to it.
- Only buy what is on sale or store brand products
- Use coupons if possible.
I started planning our family budget in June and started the 90 dollar a week grocery limit the first week of July. I decided to start this part of the budget to see if it was doable for us, so far it’s been a success.
A little before and Now:
Grocery stores: Before-All over, Now: Mainly Kroger or Fresh Thyme for Produce
Coupons: Before-Rarely, Now: Kroger Digital and I look through what is sent in the mail
Budget: Before-Anywhere from 125-175 each trip(2-3 times a month) often times not buying enough meals for a week. Now: 90 dollars a week and it lasts for all week.
The 90 dollars a week will allow us to have more money to use for family fun, paying off a debt and saving.
Now My Grocery trip for the week of July 12-19
Over: $4.91(Bought 2 packages of toilet paper instead of one for sale price)
- Oranges- 2.99
- Apples- 3.99
- Bananas- .70
- Potatoes- 3.99 Total- 13.55
- Hamburger Patties- 7.99
- Pork Loin- 5.12
- Chicken Drumbsticks- 3.21
- Bratwurst- 3.49 Total- 21.50
- Propel Water- Free(Kroger Friday free item)
- Dr. Pepper- 4.00(My addiction)
- Grape Pop- 1.75(Boys Treat)
- Ice Mountain- 2.99
- 2 Gallons of milk- 3.76 Total- 12.50
- Fries- 1.99
- Frozen Veggies- 2.00
- Stouffer’s Lasagna- 4.49
- 3 Frozen Pizzas- 3.00
- Chicken Nuggets- 2.69 Total- 14.17
- 2 rolls of paper towels- 1.38
- 2 12 pack packages of cottonelle- 6.50 Total- 7.88
- Bread/hotdog buns/hamburger- 2.49
- 2 suddenly salads- 2.84
- 2 Kroger Puddings- 1.78
- Pasta Noodles – 1.00
- 2 quaker cereals- 3.00
- Foot Loops- 1.79
- Bbq/Ketchup- 3.00
- Kroger cheese- 1.99
- Rice- 1.00
- pretzels- 1.67
- Doritos- 1.49
- Chips- 1.77
- Ritz Crackers- 1.49 Total- 25.31
- Oatmeal(already had)
- Pancakes(already had)
- Eggs(already had)
- Sandwiches(already had)
- Lasagna, garlic bread, and corn
- Burgers and fries
- Brats, pasta salad, and peas
- Bbq chicken, rice pilaf and peas
- Pulled pork, pasta salad, green beans
- BBq Pulled pork, salad, and corn
We always have fruit Salad, veggies, yogurt and string cheese available to snack on. We have been bringing leftovers or a sandwich to work since June 30, 2014. I would like to cut out the junk but I’m trying to focus on spending just 90 dollars a week first. Do you have any grocery saving tips?